|Seminars»29.03.2018 - Ali Serpengüzel : Silica, Sapphire, Silicon, and Diamond Resonators and Waveguides for Fiber Optics and Integrated Photonics
Silica, Sapphire, Silicon, and Diamond Resonators and Waveguides for Fiber Optics and Integrated Photonics
Department of Physics, Koç University, Istanbul
29 March 2018, Thursday, 14:40
Cavid Erginsoy Seminar Room, Physics Department, 3rd floor
Spherical optical microcavities  are the building blocks of three dimensional photonics, as linear optical microcavities are the building blocks of one dimensional photonics . Dielectric and semiconductor  based lightwave circuit elements are being integrated into fiber optics and integrated photonics. Silicon microspheres lead themselves to various lightwave circuit element applications such as channel dropping filters , tunable filters,  and optical modulators  using optical fiber half couplers manufactured from single mode optical fibers.
Silicon on oxide (SOI)-distributed feedback (DFB) meandering waveguides, as novel integrated optical elements, can exhibit a variety of spectral responses such as coupled resonator induced transparency filter, Fano resonator, hitless filter, Lorentzian filter, Rabi splitter, self coupled optical waveguide, and tunable power divider .
We focus on properties of various novel resonators, such as diamond spheres , and SOI-DFB meandering waveguides, and their potential for practical applications in optics and photonics.
- A. Serpengüzel, S. Arnold, and G. Griffel, "Excitation of Resonances of Microspheres on an Optical Fiber," Opt. Lett. 20, 654-656 (1995)
- A. Serpengüzel, A. Aydınlı, A. Bek, and M. Güre, "Visible photoluminescence from planar amorphous silicon nitride microcavities,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 15, 2706-2711 (1998).
- N. M. Gasanly, A. Serpengüzel, O. Gürlü, A. Aydınlı, and I. Yılmaz, "Dependence of the photoluminescence of Tl2InGaS4 layered crystal on temperature and excitation intensity," Solid State Commun. 108, 525-530 (1998).
- Y.O. Yılmaz, A. Demir, A. Kurt, and A. Serpengüzel, “Optical Channel Dropping with a Silicon Microsphere,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 17, 1662-1664 (2005).
- A. Serpengüzel, A. Kurt, and U.K. Ayaz, “Silicon microspheres for electronic and photonic integration,” Photon. Nanostructur.: Fundam. Appl. 6, 179–182 (2008).
- E. Yüce, O. Gürlü, and A. Serpengüzel, “Optical Modulation with Silicon Microspheres,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 21, 1481-1483 (2009).
- C. B. Dağ, M. A. Anıl, and A. Serpengüzel, “Meandering Waveguide Distributed Feedback Lightwave Circuits,” J. Lightwave Technol, 33, 1691-1702 (2015).
- M. M. Bayer, H. O. Çirkinoğlu, and A. Serpengüzel, “Observation of Whispering-Gallery Modes in a Diamond Microsphere,” IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 30, 3-6 (2018).
Reminder: Tea and cookies will be in the seminar room before the seminar.